Sounds like a possible corruption of the preferences file. Find the Appleworks preferences file in the Library folder for that user ( assuming he has more than one user defined ). Make a zip of the preferences file ( just in case ) and then trash the original file and empty the trash. Restart Appleworks and see if that improves things. You may have to look for several files in case Appleworks keeps things like starting points in different prefs files.

On May 10, 2009, at 4:21 PM, COMPUTERGUYS-L automatic digest system wrote:

Stephen Brownfield <steveei...@verizon.net>
Date: May 10, 2009 9:19:57 AM EDT
Subject: Appleworks problem

My brother is having a problem with his Appleworks program. He is running it on an eMac with OS 10.3.9. The problem may have started after he "tried to fix somethings with Norton." This is the problem: when you launch Appleworks, you get the menus across the top, a blank toolbar, and no document or starting points. If you go to choose an item from the menu, you get the spinning beach ball before you can choose anything. When you go to the Appleworks icon in the dock, click and hold on it you get "application not responding" and have to choose Force Quit to end it. I tried to reinstall it, but the problem remained (before this install, I removed the file/application from the Application Folder). I assume that I need to remove some or all of the other Appleworks program files, not just the Application. How do I do this? Any other advice in solving this problem would be welcome.

E. Riley Casey
Entertainment Sound Production
2311 Kansas Ave.
Silver Spring MD