What might change the situation will be people rejecting the poor lip
synch programming and stations. Until then, it will continue as usual.
Without sufficient $ or legal motivation, the problem will continue. I
do know that our neighbors to the north have much higher standards
than us. Last I heard, their permissible lip synch error was less than
3 frames (about 1/10 second) audio delay and zero frames video delay.

FYIW, with the multitude of current problems with HDTV transmission, I
use my HDTV for primarily DVD playback.

Richard P.