I am glad you have a clean computer... I believe the excessive dust can interfere with convective airflow which cools the chips... and hot chips mean shorter lifespan for the motherboard. While repairing customers computers, I have been using a 'reversed vacuum' for decades to blow out the box, or if it is really dirty, I gingerly vacuum the heavy deposits before blowing it out. I suspect that the normal vacuum can suck out a component or loosen an wire, or even create a static charge that may damage the motherboard. Blowing does not have this effect, and you don't get as close to the board with a blower.

 - Brian
----- Original Message ----- From: "Alvin Auerbach" <alvin.auerb...@verizon.net>
To: <COMPUTERGUYS-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM>
Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 5:45 PM
Subject: [CGUYS] Cleaning the Inside of a Computer

My iMac is about 4 years old, and I think that the fan noise is louder than it was originally. I want to open it up and vacuum the dust out of it, but I recall reading that this may make a static electrical charge that could ruin some semiconductors. I would like to know if anyone has personal experience with this, either good or bad (I was going to write positive or negative, but...); or is this just an urban legend?