Thank you David for the very informative response!  She is getting the
signal from the wireless modem and using the WEP key printed on the modem.
The ESSID is also the same as on the modem.   I will remove the airport base
station and see what happens; the base station then is not needed in this
case, since she is getting a signal from the dsl modem.
She also has a small Canon PIXMA printer, iP90v.  Everytime she wants to
print she just takes the macbook and walks it to the printer and connects to
it via usb. Can the Airport base station be used in this case to get the
printer to work wirelessly from the Macbook?  Thanks again.

Sandra J. Raredon
New home email:  aster...@gmail.com
New work email:     rared...@si.edu