OK first of all if it is COAX it is not DSL it is cable service. (I looked it up this is a FIOS modem router.)

The airport should probably be disconnected and solely let the wireless MacBook be looking only for the DSL wireless base station.

Another scenario is to hook the Airport into the router (one of the L:AN ports) and try connecting your mothers MacBook to the Airport and not the Actiontec.

Stewart