The ones you are talking about never took off as they were as expensive as a full size Laptop and people would not spend the money for them.

The newer netbooks save money by using a smaller sized LCD and also a less expensive (plus power saving) processor that Intel came out with.

The ones that fit into a cargo pocket just never took off.

Do not equate cheap with junk.

For what she asked for it fit the criteria.

Smartphones are OK but they are not mini notebooks, and their keyboards are too cramped to get serious work done.

The Netbooks fit the middle ground. Their battery life is better than notebooks, and not as good as smartphones/pda's.

They fit a niche and a need.

Once again they are not good for everybody nor are they meant to be.

Stewart