I've seen dramatic performance increases on laptops where I've replaced a
slower drive with a 7200 RPM drives.  Granted, these are older systems that
will show these differences more easily, but faster=better.

Get as much as you can afford up front CPU and HD-wise, and then upgrade the
memory aftermarket for a fraction of the price.