A lot of it has to be research.

I usually spend some time researching what I buy, be it software or hardware.

Very often you can find some decent (meaning not paid for) reviews in different places.

It has prevented from getting junk on more than one occasion.

I especially like the try before you buy software, as you can get a feel for the software and usually (within limitations) find out if it fits your needs. Again reviews I have read has saved me money and aggravation on buying junk.

It all comes down to shopping smartly and wisely. That allows you to use your money wisely.

Stewart