No, I wasn't. I own both Macs and PCs, but only Mac laptops.
The OS I've found if far superior on the Mac. The OS never seems to crash, only the machine crashes. Meaning it's not an OS problem. It's only happened a couple of times. Lately with my logic board going out after 4+ years on a refurb iMac I bought. As for the software you use, it sounds like you're a math person. My best friend is a professor at Gonzaga University. He Uses Macs at home and just recently bought a new one for school. He's a PHD in mathematics and uses both Maple and Mathematica on his Macs. He probably also uses other things I have no clue about. My friend is a bit over the top when it comes to perfection. I helped him remodel his kitchen and he insisted on a Sub Zero fridge and Wolf oven/stove. The flooring we put in was half sawn oak in 1 1/2" strips. On another not about my friend. He just got his new Mac both at home and and school. He's rather cheap and his Macbook Pro from about 10 years ago was working fine. But after the school paid for his new Mac at school he had to buy one for himself.

I'd say, if your company is paying for it, go with what they offer. If not, go with what you want and hope to continue to use for the next 5 or 10 years. If it's the later case, it's your money.

Jeff M