On May 28, 2009, at 9:13 PM, Robert Carroll wrote:
Example (one of many): Matlab, with 13 toolboxes. Unfortunately, the Matlab web site doesn't list prices, but I estimate that the packages would cost around $1,000 to $2,000. There are quite a few other mathematical or scientific packages that are free to me for PC but for which I would have to pay for myself to get the Mac version.

I recall reading that MathLab will let you run the Mac version even if your employer supplies Windows only. Of course I could have been hallucinating.