One may claim that it's difficult to output an HD product on DL disks, although I disagree, having done some HD video. It's irresponsible to do half a job. In no way should the final product be the raw DV tapes. Nor should the end product be compressed at MPEG4 unless requested by the client.

No matter what the imagined "hassle", the project shouldn't be left unfinished for the client. It's also irresponsible to expect a client to buy a Blu-ray player. If they give unfinished video on tape, they should lend a camera to the client for output at no cost to make up for their miscalculation of the job.

--How long are the videos? Are any longer than 1/2 hour? If not, they'll fit on DL disks as movies, not as .dv files.

--What is the resolution of the videos?

When a video service assumes that the client and customers of the client all have means to display HD video other than on a computer, they're making a big mistake in judgment. Best solution: Why not have them output the video on a portable hard drive, again at their expense, or do the output directly from their camera/player to one of your computers?

This can be difficult, depending of course on the amount of product. A
4.7g DVD can only hold some 15 minutes of HDV .m2t files. Tremendous
hassle to split those up and burn them. Of course, if both parties had
blu-ray drives the problem is solved.

A common form of distribution now for shorter projects is AVC (.mp4),
usually delivered via the internet.

But it's my impression the museum just hired shooters, so they have to
do the ingesting themselves. If so, that means buying an HDV
camcorder.