>  But, doesn't marketplace dominance determine what is best?  I thought
> that concept was the whole theory of how the almighty marketplace
> sorts out the wheat from the chaff.

Best?  I don't know if it determines what is "best."  A market gives choices
from which to choose.  Products and services sell well or don't sell well at
all for all variety of reasons.

Keep in mind what a market is.  It isn't an unthinking behemoth, like the
state, but a collection of inputs, outputs, information and decisions made
by millions and millions of atomized actors.  Is your snideness indicating
that you think a central authority could do a better job at determining
people's choices?  Should we look to our "betters" and follow their leads?
Or should we allow people to make choices based on their needs and/or wants
and respect their choices?

>  All I ever hear is how MS Windows
> commands over 90% of computer sales, and therefore that means
> computers with that OS installed at the time of purchase are the best.

If that's your definition of what is "best," than sure, it's the best.  It's
clearly a market leader, so perhaps it is.  iPods are similarly market
leaders by a wide margin.  Based on sales, Windows certainly is what is best
for the vast majority of consumers, as are iPods.  YMMV.

>  In addition to their cheap cost, don't most people buy Windows
> machines because "everyone else" has one?  How can so many people
> possibly be wrong?

I don't know why people buy Windows over Macs, or Macs over Windows.  But,
somehow, you know that they are wrong for making one choice over another.
That's a really neat trick.   How is it that your preference is an objective
standard?