On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 3:27 AM, Constance Warner<cawar...@his.com> wrote:

> I have to wonder who thought that digital TV was such a terrific idea,
> anyway.
>
> On WAMU on Kojo's show on Tuesday, he had 2 digital experts.  From listeners
> who called or emailed in with the now-familiar complaints, the experts
> had--basically--one counter-argument: "Sports will be so much clearer!"
>
> Gee, fellas, I guess that makes it all worthwhile, missing stations and
> everything.
>
> BTW, I'm in inner Montgomery County and I get Channel 9--usually in little
> bits and pieces.

  Everyone who wanted to make money as a result of the transition are
the ones who wanted digital TV.  That includes TV manufacturers, all
the companies that make the communications equipment that would be
required to execute the changeover, all the companies that make the
communications equipment that would be purchased by government and
industry when they inherit the old frequencies that TV used to use,
and on and on.

  There were many warnings by experts about how problematic reception
would be for much of the public, and those warnings did cause concern
within the broadcast industry, but the digital steamroller was already
moving and would not be stopped.  All the reservations about the
changeover were offset by numerous promises and grand visions about
how much the public would gain when the changeover occurred.
Congressional inquiries were told about how television sets would be
essentially turned into computers and viewers could use their sets to
shop, to arrange for customized "viewing experiences," on-demand
programming and all sorts of visionary ways to use TV in the digital
age.  None of that ever came to pass.  Can you say BS?

  So today, all that is left for anyone involved in the transition to
say is, as you put it, "Sports will be so much clearer!"  Sure...if
you can get it on your digital TV.

  Steve