Some folks object to electronic payments systems because they believe the
merchants are passing on the fees the banks and credit card companies charge
in the form of higher prices. Maybe so, but the merchants who deal in cash
also have costs relating to the safeguarding, counting, and depositing. In
addition, there is the threat of robbery in conveying that cash to the bank.
Larger merchants might use a armored car service to handle that cash.

Do people really believe that the expense of handling cash isn't passed
along in some form to the customers anyway?

YMMV

It's true that the credit card companies and the banks provide