I'm finding it very difficult to teach these seniors not to be afraid of the
machines, and yet balance that with the security issues that they will find on
their
home computers.

You are experience first hand the difference between getting Windows vs
Macintosh. The
Macs are far more resistant to this kind of pollution. They would be easier to
lock
down too, but that is generally unnecessary.

My Dad got his first computer when he was in his 70s, a Quadra 605, moved on to a PM 6100, now has an indigo CRT iMac that's fading a bit--used them for a home business. He told me he wants a MacBook or MB Pro with WiFi. Likes his Macs a lot; says they're easy, not scary, and don't crash. He's 91 and buying a new car tomorrow.