First, there has not been a recognition in this debate that using the devices, particularly the GPS unit, improves driving safety.

I have to agree that searching for addresses as you drive is risky business. I don't have a GPS, but I thought they "talked" to you?

No matter where such a gadget that has to be viewed is installed, if it requires one to take their eyes off the road, that is the problem...not that it blocks one's view of the road.

I don't chew gum and drive, nor do I have my cell turned on while I'm driving. For sure I couldn't dial a number or text safely while driving. I have no idea if I could drive safely with a voice-activated cell, but if I really needed a cell while driving, it seems to me that would be the safest way. Mostly, I like the cell for my convenience--not anyone else's.

I've not travelled much out of my area since my husband died, but I'm thinking I might like a GPS. Please tell me that I can get one that talks?

You'd be surprised what you can stick on your dashboard.

Sue