Actually, there are quite a few reasons to be in space. In addition to GPS, weather satellites, and warnings of solar flares [which, if large enough, can fry your iPod, your computer, and the entire electrical grid], the space program can warn about continent-killing asteroids. And, if we do enough research NOW, we can deflect the asteroid before it wipes out the entire eastern U.S. (or some other unlucky region) and plunges the world into something resembling nuclear winter.

For example, check out this zippy presentation about an asteroid that's going to be very, VERY near earth in 2029 and 2036:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/03/planetdefense/

For a more scientific treatment, try this webpage:

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/apophis/

AFAIK, the only telescope that's capable of tracking near-earth asteroids is the big one at Arecibo, and it's having trouble getting funded.

This is just one example of congressmen who want brownie points for cutting "unnecessary" spending, being penny-wise and pound foolish. Here's another example: the space station, where not much science is getting done by the three-person crew. And why only three people? Because some congressman back in 2001 or so decided he would save big bucks by cutting funding for the space lifeboat that would carry a larger crew to safety, if anything went seriously wrong with the space station. The only way to get the crew off now in an emergency is by a Russian Soyuz capsule. Maximum capacity: three people. So there is a skeleton crew of three on the space station, and that's just about enough for basic maintenance and housekeeping. A three-person crew is not, however, enough for doing a lot of science, which was the basic reason for having the space station in the first place.

I have family and friends working at NASA, and boy do I hear about this kind of thing. When funding gets approved for a given project, the scientists and technicians go at it hell-for-leather, in an attempt to get the project off the ground--literally--before the funding gets cut by some grandstanding congressman who's trying to get reelected.

BOTTOM LINE: If you like your GPS or your weather forecasts, better let your congressman and senators know. Otherwise, the GPS may go bye-bye.

And if funding for tracking and for R & D to deflect near-earth asteroids gets cut, YOU might not be around long enough to miss it.

P.S.: Spirit and Opportunity are not self-guiding, decision-making robots. They are operated from earth. The next generation of landers will have more advanced robotics on board--if the funding doesn't get cut.

--Constance Warner