If it is a commercial tape it is a nogo.

Wether or not it is old has no bearing it is still protected.

Stewart

At 12:03 PM 9/30/2009, you wrote:
A friend asked if I could convert a few VHS tapes to DVD. I've done many, so I said OK. One tape he gave me is a commercial movie--obscure, but one of his favorites--and it's never been released as a DVD. It has Macrovision.

Is there a legal way to do this conversion without buying expensive equipment like EyeTV? It's for a tape that he bought for his own use and wants to convert to a newer format for his own use. So far, our JVC VCR to Samsung DVD recorder doesn't work. We also have a cheap Philips VCR, a pro model Panasonic SVHS PV-S4990, and a VHS camcorder ca. 1985, and Canon Elura DV camcorder that we will try.

Help! Did this issue fall through the cracks of the DMCA?

Betty