A five-year-old digital camera, connected to a USB port on a Win2k Machine,
just automatically comes up as an additional [hard/flash] drive, and the
picture [.jpg] files can be copied using Windows drag and drop or copy/paste
procedures, etc. No user-initiated driver installation of any sort is
necessary.  Whatever driver is needed comes with the OS and is installed
automatically.

Not so with any of three digital cameras purchased this year.  Drivers that
work under Win2K aren't even available.  To get the pictures from the camera
using the USB port on the camera, it must be connected to a WinXP machine, it
seems.  Why are the camera manufacturers making it so hard?  Is this part of
DRM?

I can still get the pictures transferred from the camera to a Win2K machine by
removing the camera's "memory" card and putting it into a card reader that is
attached by USB to the Win2K machine, so the camera manufacturers are merely
inconveniencing me a bit, not really preventing me from doing it.  The
inconvenience is that the card reader is not connected "permanently" to the
Win2K machine, so I have to fish it out of a drawer full of "stuff" when I want
to use it.  Also, the card reader comes up as four different drives, for the
four different slots for different typed of cards on the card reader, and the
extra drives shown but not being used in MY Computer are sort of
nuisance/distraction.

Fred Holmes