Okay, I think I see the 'new' take on it. Or, at least I see it from
Wired's perspective.

Around here it's got nothing to do with extra hours. It's construction
jobs being lost to 'Mexicans' (anyone that speaks spanish). I've heard
it from both sides though - the employers complain the local guys just
won't show up on time consistently (or at all). I have no idea what
sorts of extra hours these workers may put in, or if they're paid for
them. But I can imagine they whine a lot less about extra work in
general.