From: tjpa <t...@tjpa.com>
To: COMPUTERGUYS-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM
Sent: Tue, November 17, 2009 9:32:20 AM
Subject: Re: [CGUYS] Borrowing the "Z" & OS from M$ and the design from Apple
gets us what?

On Nov 17, 2009, at 7:49 AM, phartz...@gmail.com wrote:
> Thanks for answering my questions.  Your usage of eSata is a good
> example of when high rates of data transfer can be of note.  My sole
> point was that, for the most part in daily computer use, it isn't
> really going to matter or be noticeable.

It also demonstrated that WFBs have a tenuous grasp on technology. Why am I not
surprised?

The transfer rate for the latest FireWire and eSATA versions don't matter much
because both are high enough to not be creating the data-transfer bottleneck.
That is why faster versions of these standards have been proposed BUT NOT
IMPLEMENTED. It would be a waste of effort to do so. If anybody bothered to
look at the charts on tomshardware that I linked to they would have seen both
FireWire and eSATA drives in mixed order at the top of the charts. This amply
demonstrates that FireWire vs eSATA does not matter. Other parts of the data
channel are what is limiting the data rate.

One example. Both FireWire and SCSI control the data flow in hardware. ATA and
eSATA have the CPU managing the data transfer. So FireWire and SCSI can
maintain a high data rate irrespective of what is happening in the CPU and ATA
and eSATA can't. That may account for the inconsistent eSATA results that were
observed.