Sorry, I missed this the first time. It's true you must install SP2
before you can get up to SP3, so you don't have a choice; you must get
SP2 in there. What's unusual is that usually in a clean install there
shouldn't be any hangs. You aren't trying to install SP2/SP3 *after*
you've installed some apps, are you?

I had a NIC go bad on a mobo once years ago. other than that, this
stuff just doesn't fail. Are you guys with the constant failures just
buying cheap mobos? No wait, I buy a lot of cheap mobos for our video
workstations, and none of those have failed either. Knock on wood,
thanks to you guys. Can you tell us just how many and what type of
failures you've had on your mobos that required you to have 5 PCI
slots???