Well, as you've seen by now this isn't the case. The OP clings to the
belief that he needs all these PCI slots because he thinks the onboard
equivalents don't work as well. I'm not sure where he got that idea,
but I doubt we'll be changing his mind in our lifetimes. Since the
only card he would actually be putting in these slots is a sound card,
it still makes no sense to need more than one or two PCI slots.

Another camp fears that all the onboard devices will fail at some
point and they will need PCI slots to use to prevent having to replace
the mobo. They haven't actually had this experience, but their
overwhelming *fear* of it happening will probably guide their choices
for many years to come. Again, they apparently haven't actually
counted how many PCI slots would be needed to replace all the broken
onboard devices. One I think (audio), although there are USB audio
solutions also.

Hitachi drives are currently the best drives on the market. They're
built to higher specs, that's why they cost a bit more. They may be
overkill for most people. If you had a bad experience with one then
it's probably no great loss as you have many other viable choices for
average systems.