http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Framework

has some information which may or may not be enlightening.  There are other
Wikipedia pages dealing with .net as well.

I've had similar failures to install in the past (other patches/updates).  I've
just left them uninstalled and gone about my business.  They have eventually
installed after another patch Tuesday or more has passed and other things have
installed.  Never had anything that didn't work that I could trace to the patch
that didn't install.  I do all my patching "manually," I.e., "custom" install,
but generally take what is recommended.  Except driver upgrades.  I've had too
many driver upgrades fail / mess things up.  I only upgrade a hardware driver
if there is some lack / failure in performance.

Fred Holmes