Actually, if we ignore the old time BIOS viruses that were targeted to
specific hardware, the modern (but still only theoretical I think)
BIOS virus will likely simply render the machine *dead*. Replacing the
BIOS chip would bring it back to life, but realistically nobody would
go to all that trouble and instead would simply declare the
motherboard dead and replace it.

It has been shown in theory that someone could put working code into a
BIOS. But AFAIK this has never been done in the wild. Send linkage if
you know otherwise.