Guess I kind of like maintaining the basics rather than the frills-- universal access is the most important goal, as far as I'm concerned. If this means fewer profits (or a status as a government- regulated utility) for telephone and communications companies, then that's OK with me. Last time I looked, "making more money for big corporations" isn't in the Constitution; "promote the general welfare" is. So I'm all for an FCC that looks out for us, the public, instead of bowing to pressure from Big Telecom.

As for frills and new gadgetry: as long as they can be made available without losing basic telephone services, then I'm all for the latest bells and whistles. Hey, it would be cool to have a smart phone with all those trendy apps. I just don't like "innovation" used as an excuse to raise prices to the point that basic telephony is out of reach for a large percentage of the population. (I don't even like the prospect of much higher telephone bills for people who CAN afford it.) I also don't like the planned abandonment of large portions of the country where no corporation wants to put up cell towers.

This whole thing looks like the replacement of light rail with cars and GM-built buses in the 30's and 40's. Right now, municipalities are trying to rebuild what was destroyed in the name of corporate profits. Destroying low-cost public transit wasn't a good idea, and abolishing landlines isn't either.

--Constance Warner