On Feb 11, 2010, at 4:48 PM, Fred Holmes wrote:
I don't know how to evaluate it, but it's often been said that the quality of life statistics are apples and oranges among different countries. The classic example is that most countries simply let preemies die, they don't try to save them. Since they die at birth, the are _not_ recorded as an infant mortality statistic. The U.S.'s infant mortality statistics are high because we do try to save preemies, but don't always succeed. Dunno if this is true, but I'll bet there are a lot of things like this. And, I'll bet most government cook these kinds of statistics.

viz. previous comment on brainwashing. Why did you not bring up death panels? That's the surest way to keep costs down.