It's already here:

<http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/battery/>

The battery improvements come in part from: using lithium
polymer instead of lithium ion or nickel-cadmium, better chemical
composition, and making the battery smart with a chip that controls
how individual cells are discharged and charged, which greatly
extends the battery's useful life.  The last big factor is that by not
having the battery in a protective case with a battery change door
and mechanism, etc., you can put in a lot more battery for a given
weight/space.

I know other ebook and computer manufacturers are moving to
Li-poly, they may also do adaptive charging/discharging as well,
but as long as they are wedded to making the battery removable
they will lose to Apple on either capacity or weight.

My son has a newer MacBook Pro with the built-in battery.  I have
a slightly older MacBook Pro with a user-replaceable battery.
His laptop outlasts mine by quite a bit.  If the advertised
7-hour battery life is an exaggeration, it isn't by very much.