On Apr 23, 2010, at 11:42 AM, Michael S. Altus wrote:
I want to remove unnecessary programs from my Windows XP computer. I use the computer mainly for writing in Word, web browsing, reading PDF files, and
keeping track of numbers in QuattroPro.

Many PCs come loaded with crapware and removing that can clear up lots of clutter and disk space, but the programs you list are not of that kind. What you list are mostly support utilities that usually work invisibly and don't take up much disk space. They assist other programs, typically web browsers, in delivering media. Pulling them could break something that you do use.

So considering the small benefit and potentially high cost of messing with them, I suggest you leave them alone.