On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 10:37 PM, t.piwowar <t...@tjpa.com> wrote

> So why should effective law enforcement be treated with such contempt? The
> Prosecutor's job is to prosecute and to win cases. What is wrong with that?

  You are presuming that the efforts of law enforcement in this case
were and/or are effective.  We do know that they did manage to smash
through the front door of a home, so that much they can do.  However,
their seizure of equipment and personal property is suspect and may
well have been illegal.  I also do not believe there is any talk of
prosecution at this juncture because no one has been charged with any
crime.

  I wonder what party pushed to have the police to become involved in
this situation?  Apple Corp. is a corporate partner with the division
of law enforcement that conducted the search of the home and the
seizure of equipment in possession of the editor of Gizmodo who is
said to have been in possession of the iPhone that had been abandoned,
allegedly sold and then returned to Apple.

  It is claimed by the original finder of the lost iPhone, as well as
by Gizmodo, that early attempts to return the phone to the presumed
owner, Apple Corp., were rebuffed and/or ignored.  Most likely, the
calls to Apple Corp. about the found phone were considered to be a
hoax or in reference to some iPhone "knock-off."  Those initial return
attempts could not get past the first-tier call takers at Apple which
meant that no one higher up at Apple was reachable.  That being the
case, the phone was apparently sold to Gizmodo, inspected, and then
handed over to apple upon request.  Then came the raid.

  Steve