On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 5:04 PM, mike <xha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> "Gripping any mobile phone will result in some attenuation of its antenna
> performance, with certain places being worse than others depending on the
> placement of the antennas. This is a fact of life for every wireless phone.
> If you ever experience this on your iPhone 4, avoid gripping it in the lower
> left corner in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal
> band, or simply use one of many available cases."
>
> Sure it's great spin, but they admit that holding the phone in the way 90%
> of users do will result in signal loss.  Like my phone, if I hold it upside
> down and backwards, sideways to my ear so it's unusable, I tend to lose a
> little signal.  Holding it like a phone however, I've had no signal loss.

  Thanks for the information.  However, that is not really the issue
with the iPhone.  The issue is that the new iPhone places the antenna,
or active portions of it, where it can easily come into direct contact
with the hand of the user.  Other phones have their antenna systems
fully insulated and thus not able to directly contact anything
external to the phone itself.  While mere proximity of any external
conductive material can cause a negative effect on an antenna, were
such material to come into direct contact with an antenna, far more
serious problems may ensue.  This is what is happening with the new
iPhone, and this is not the norm for cell phones no matter what Apple
says.

  You say spin, I'll offer disingenuous.

  Steve