On Jun 28, 2010, at 8:45 PM, phartz...@gmail.com wrote:
 A complete non-answer of the question as posed.

You just won't accept any answer except the one you are promoting. You don't want reality to get in the way.

Experiences
http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/iphone4/index.html#d28jun2010
Peter Dy

i was on a call (more like on hold) today for around 20 min and during that time i was trying to drop the call by bridging the left upper and lower antennas. in short, i wasn't able to drop the call. i just got down to 1 bar and the call sounded just as good as 5 bars.

Robert Wright

I have an 3 year old MotoKRZR k1m cell phone. I am in the process of getting an iPhone 4. I can produce the same signal degradation on the MotoKRZR by grasping it in various configurations. I suspect this is characteristic of all cell phones.

Don Andrachuk

Steve Birchall asked,

"...why is this just being noticed on the 4th generation iPhone, and seems to have not been noticed by users of any other cell phone?"

Good question! The issue exists for many, if not most, cellphones to varying degrees. This article points out similar findings with the Nexus One and a Nokia handset:

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/24/other-mobile-phones-with-similar-signal-loss-issues/

etc. etc.