But much of the marketing for smartphones concerns just such convenience issues as picking a restaurant (or a store, or some other way of consuming); so this isn't my idea. In nearly all the commercials I've seen, convenience and consumption are the main selling points of smartphones and portable smart devices. There's an app, we are told, for all sorts of ephemeral stuff; but I haven't yet heard of an app to target the company that's most likely to get you a job, or the app to tell you which hospital has the best outcomes and lowest infection rates, when you have to undergo some kind of medical procedure. Maybe really useful apps like these exist, but they aren't in the commercials.

And as far as meals in Georgetown restaurants: my point was that some of us can afford neither the phone nor the restaurants. I agree, I would give up the meals to get the phone, but right now that isn't an option.

--Constance