Well, a fifteen-inch laptop is still a far cry from an iPad--let alone an orignal Mac (or an Osborn). I'm sorry your brother and his co-workers have to use a 15-inch laptop to code on all day; but here, we're getting into the issue of workers versus corporations, rather than consumer choice (of iPads and smartphones versus computers).

And iPhones may be cool, but they're still much too expensive for a lot of people. The mere fact that an iPhone does a lot of stuff does not give me (or anybody else) the money to buy one, or the wherewithal to pay the telephone bill. This is serious money, folks; and for something that can't do a lot of everyday functions, like writing a book report or typing a letter. It's really about how many people can afford a luxury item, like a smartphone or an iPad. For a lot of us, the money just isn't there; and if it were, we would probably spend it on a more useful device, like a computer of some kind. Or even on food and rent.

--Constance