For any app store purchase, including purchases from inside an
app, you have to enter in your password the first time you make
a purchase, but your password activation only remains good for a
little while afterwards, and in particular will expire after the idevice
goes to sleep.  So Thurrott and those others either made a
purchase and handed the iDevice back to their kids, who then
racked up all those costs before letting it go to sleep, or else they
gave their kids their app store passwords.

Either way, they essentially handed their kids a credit card for an online
purchase and didn't check up on them.  It's a little hard to feel sorry for
them on this, or to blame Apple too much on this point.

For most apps, blocking in-app purchases will require you to enter a
4-digit override (much like the parental controls on your TV) and then
you still need your app store password.  In Tap Fish, if you have
purchases blocked, you are sent to their web site and prompted to
install more of their other apps, some of which you must pay for,
in order to get "free" fish bucks.  Turning off app installation is
a separate restriction that might not be turned on.  So the Tap Fish
people are definitely predatory, in much the same way as your typical
carnival game.