> On Aug 25, 2011, at 12:00 AM, b_s-wilk <b1sun...@yahoo.es>  wrote:
>
>> These examples are the best reasons to NEVER buy software at an app
>> store where it's automatically installed, overwriting the last version.
>> The worst bugs are always in the automatic installs, and they're harder
>> to clean up, too.
>

> Even most non-App Store apps don't automatically update themselves.
> For the most part, they tell me that an update is available and give
> me the option of upgrading immediately or postponing the update.

  I think that the point was that the app store automatically
INSTALLED the update, thereby overwriting the version being updated,
not that the app store automatically UPDATED the application without
input from the end user.

  I absolutely prefer to download an updated version of any
application and install it "alongside" the older version.  That allows
me to test the new version to ensure it works properly before I
consider deleting the older one.  That approach has saved me
considerable grief and a lot of time on a number of occasions.

  Steve

I want to have a backup of the INSTALLER, not the backup of the program. Without the installer, vital files could be missing. The online installer will overwrite what I have without giving me the choice not to do that -- Apple has done this for years, BUT they used to give a choice of downloading an installer instead of online only. I don't want to waste time digging through a series of backups, delving into the invisible system files to find all the pieces to recover, when a decent company would simply provide an installer for their software. I can even download Android and Symbian software without having it installed automatically, overwriting my files. At least Mozilla gives us software installers--and Bugzilla.

What's wrong with Apple? Steve Jobs should have retired a long time ago and taken his sadistic narrow micromanagement style with him.

Without the software installer, we're also at the whim of our ISP which hasn't treated us very well lately; connection has the hiccups, and calling them doesn't do any good. They blame it on our computers, even though the odds that all of our many computers will have exactly the same glitch at the same time are almost nil. Will call them and try again.

Internet providers' flaky service can make a horrible product [Mac App Store online installations] even worse. Such is the pleasure of country living!

Betty

**   THIS LIST HAS MOVED TO YAHOO    **
**  PLEASE JOIN THE DISCUSSION THERE **
**   Info at http://www.cguys.org/   **