Let me first say that I am having great fun and success with comtypes!
A recent project required a connection to an MS Jet database, so I
downloaded adodbapi.  Those guy have their reasons (I suppose) for
choosing pywin32 - and providing IronPython (yuck) support.

Here's what I've been up to:
Just for fun I replaced adodbapi's pythoncom dispatch with
CreateObject("ADODB.Connection") - custom.
Things went along just fine until I tried to fetch many columns from
the db:
The custom interface returned the expected length list fo rows, but
the rows (tuples) were of lenght = 1 containing the corect data for
the first column.

After some time poking around in comtypes and reading the mail list, I
tried CreateObject("ADODB.Connection", dynamic=True) .
Success!! All rows are fetched properly!
I then decided to re-organize and rename the module - maybe someday
breath new life into one of the earlier, sleeping projects -
adodbapi turns out to be very cumbersome to type and I trying to find
a way to work "comtypes" into the name - but I digress...

Once I could see the mechanics of the module, I began to look at the
inner workings:
It seems that comtyps is doing all the type conversion of individual
fields of the query result (something that the original module worked
very hard at) before the data (list of tuples) arrives.

So, I'm trying to understand if a "custom" interface should have
behaved differently, if this "dynamic" behavior can be explained in a
few word, if there are any pitfalls that I may be headed for, and if
pythoncom lacks this kind type conversion.

I appreciate any thoughts on this.
Thank you,
Barton