Hi Thomas!

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 05:42:51PM +0100, Thomas Heller wrote:

Thanks for the reply!

> Ok, the interface that you have is a pure dispinterface, which means that
> all methods of the COM object are eventually called as IDispatch.Invoke()
> calls.
>
> The Invoke() method packs all parameters into a DISPPARAM structure which
> basically is an array of VARIANT instances.  This explains the error that
> you get - comtypes is trying to pack the POINTER parameter that you have
> created into a VARIANT.  This only works for 'automation-compatible' data
> types
> and your pointer is not one of those.

Ok, that makes some sense.

> I would guess that the 'mode_ptr' argument is an argument that must be passed
> by reference (this is visual basic speak).  Do you have sample VB code that
> shows how this method is used?

>From the documentation of this control, I get this prototype (I don't know if
that's the right name):

---
Function GetControlMode(lChanID As Long, plMode As Long) As Long

Parameters

lChanID - the channel identifier
plMode - returns the control loop feedback status
---

I found this other funcion, that seems similar and has a code example:

---
Function GetMaxTravel(lChanID As Long, plMaxTravel As Long) As Long

Parameters

lChanID - the channel identifier
plMaxTravel - returns the maximum travel (in microns)

Example:

Private Sub cmdGetTravel_Click()

  Dim sngMaxTravel As Single

  MG17Piezo1.GetMaxTravel CHAN1_ID, sngMaxTravel

  ' inform user of piezo max travel
  MsgBox "Maximum travel of piezo = " & sngMaxTravel
---

Does this help?

> However, it could be that comtypes is not able to call this method...

I hope not! (crossing fingers... :-))

Bye & Good Luck!

Pablo B.