Hi,

I already wrote to this mailing list ("Serious problem with RPC_E_SERVERFAULT
(0x80010105)") last year.

Unfortunately but understandably, Thomas Heller stopped supporting comtypes
actively. However, I saw there was some development going on in terms of a new
release, so I wanted to bump this topic because we couldn't find a solution yet.

Let me sum up the issue and what we've found out so far:
- We've written an OPC (OLE for Process Control) COM Server in Python
- The existing version of this server works perfectly for over a year on a Win
XP machine
- Because XP is quite old and not supported anymore, we needed to move on to
Win 7 / Server 2008
- On these recent OSes, the server stopped working
- It actually starts and responds to some method calls. But, when a method
needs to return a pointer to an array of structures, the client receives the
COM error 0x80010105
- The server continues running.
- We've modified the code to use the low-level comtypes implementation so that
the client actually receives the server response without an error. But,
unfortunately, the response is corrupted (the first two bytes of the array are
overwritten).
- We assumed memory being unintentionally freed because we're returning a
pointer but not the actual array.
- We modified the python code to keep a reference to the array but then the
client again gets the same COM error 0x80010105
- We've debugged the issue with a windows debugger (see stack trace from the
old mail) and it seems as if an access violation happens when ctypes calls
CoTaskMemFree internally.

We have to solve the issue and we have absolutely no idea how. Even the
slightest suggestion how to get more information about the problem would be
helpful.

Thanks,

Jan Wedel