http://us.click.yahoo.com/TzSHvD/SOnJAA/79vVAA/GSaulB/TM

      1. Re: OT: Californian and Teen Speak
           From: Kris Kowal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
      2. Re: vocabulary
           From: Gary Shannon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
      3. Re: OT: Californian and Teen Speak
           From: "B. Garcia" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
      4. Re: OT: Californian and Teen Speak
           From: "B. Garcia" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
      5. Re: [CHAT] Mispronouncing Conlang Names
           From: "B. Garcia" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
      6. Re: [CHAT] Mispronouncing Conlang Names
           From: Paul Bennett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
      7. Re: vocabulary
           From: Gregory Gadow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
      8. Re: OT: Californian and Teen Speak
           From: "Mark J. Reed" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
      9. Re: Fwd: Nasal Fricatives, Yes or No
           From: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Message: 1
   Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 13:51:11 -0700
   From: Kris Kowal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OT: Californian and Teen Speak

On 4/14/05, Henrik Theiling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "B. Garcia" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Are there features adults complain about that are common among teens
> > there (other than the obvious use of slang)?
>
> Yes, in Tyl Sjok, adults think teens don't talk 'properly'. :-)

Seems to be the pattern.  A friend of mine tells me that his
grandmother is still upset that young(er) people have come to use
"patronise" to mean "to be a patron for" instead of its older meaning
"to condescend to".  The new meaning, as I understand it, came with
the orthogonal application of "ise" to words like "hospitalise",
"traumatise", and the like.

Kris.

Message: 2