1a. Re: OT: Native Americans
    From: George Corley
    From: Charles W Brickner
    From: George Corley
    From: BPJ

    From: Adam Walker
    From: George Corley
    From: Puey McCleary

    From: Matthew Turnbull
    From: Nicole Valicia Thompson-Andrews
    From: Adam Walker
3d. Re: respectively
    From: Nicole Valicia Thompson-Andrews
3e. Re: respectively
    From: Matthew Boutilier
3f. Re: respectively
    From: p...@phillipdriscoll.com
3g. Re: respectively
    From: Nicole Valicia Thompson-Andrews

4. Sangari elements and chemical history
    From: Herman Miller

1a. Re: OT: Native Americans
    Posted by: "George Corley" gacor...@gmail.com
    Date: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:06 am ((PST))

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 10:38 AM, David McCann <da...@polymathy.plus.com>wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 15:30:29 -0600
> George Corley <gacor...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > In the US, they are often termed Native Americans or American
> > Indians, or Amerindians in more technical contexts.  Canada
> > officially uses First Nations, though I think more specific terms
> > like Inuit and Aleut tend to be more common as you get into the far
> > northern tribes.  And the usual Spanish term is _indígena_
> > "indigenous", though _indio_ also appears.
>
> As I understand it, the Mexican fault-line is linguistic. If your L1
> isn't Spanish, you're an indio. If it is, you're a mestizo, no matter
> how hard-pressed you'd be to trace a Spanish ancestor.

Interesting.  A similar phenomenon might be apparent in China -- if you
look Asian and your native language is *any* Sinitic language, you are Han
... unless you're a Muslim, then you're Hui.

Of course, in Taiwan they more clearly differentiate Mandarin speakers,
Taiwanese-speakers, and Hakka.

> It occurred to me the other day that almost all of those whom
> yanks/gringos (if am I allowed to use such terms) call "hispanics" are
> actually mestizos, and hence Native Americans. The immigration is
> really the indigenous inhabitants taking their land back!

 Yes.  The stereotypical Hispanic is essentially a mestizo (though most
people only know the physical characteristics).  I suppose it comes from
the fact that Mexico has such a large mestizo population.

1b. Re: OT: Native Americans
    Posted by: "Charles W Brickner" tepeyach...@embarqmail.com
    Date: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:58 am ((PST))