I know Prof. Martin thinks the Constitution has some "status as a treaty."  I do not.  Federalist nos. 5 and 75 provide no evidence to the contrary.  Nor does Ware v. Hylton bear on the issue he raises; it had to do with the supremacy of the Treaty of Paris (1783) over a law of Virginia.

Scalia is quite right to disdain rulings of the European Court of Human Rights as relevant to American constitutional questions.  Article VI identifies three sources of "supreme law": the Constitution, acts of Congress, and treaties.  No treaty to which the U.S. is a signatory obliges our judges, state or federal, to pay the least bit of attention to the rulings of the ECHR (thank goodness).  Nor does "customary international law" have any bearing on the laws by which Americans govern themselves.

Scalia's "federalism"--I have in mind those cases where the five "conservative" justices band together to defend "sovereign immunity" or tendentious readings of the Tenth Amendment or limits on the commerce power--is lousy originalism precisely because it forgets that the Constitution is not a treaty among the states, and because it rests on an ahistorical view of the proper reach of judicial review.

Matt
***************************
Matthew J. Franck
Professor and Chairman