Here is the relevant passage with citations from my never quite finished manuscript.

Prominent Republicans believed that the due process clause protected the property of white settlers moving westward as well as the liberty of their would-be slaves.  Abraham Lincoln supported Taney's claim that persons had a right to bring their possessions into the territories.  "[T]he slaveholder [would have] the same right to take his negroes to Kansas that a freeman has to take his hogs or his horses," he informed his fellow citizens, "if negroes were property in the same sense that hogs and horses are."  As late as 1901, Republican justices on the Supreme Court treated the Taney/Lincoln/McLean position as good constitutional law.  Justice Homer Billings Brown in Downes v. Bidwell declared that "if . . . slaves were indistinguishable from other property, the inference from the Dred Scott case is irresistible that Congress had no power to prohibit their introduction into a territory."

Lincoln, 2 Collected Works, p. 245.  See Lincoln, 2 Collected Works, p. 264; Congressional Globe, 31st Cong., 1 Sess., App., p. 479 (speech of Salmon Chase).

  Downes v. Bidwell, 182 U.S. 244, 274 (1901) (opinion of Brown, J.). "It would scarcely be insisted," Brown continued,

 that Congress could with one hand invite settlers to locate in the territories of the United States, and with the other deny them the right to take their property and belongings with them.  The two are so inseparable from each other that one could scarcely be granted and the other withheld without an exercise of arbitrary power inconsistent with the underlying principles of a free government.  It might indeed be claimed with great plausibility that such a law would amount to a deprivation of property within the Fourteenth Amendment.  The difficulty with the Dred Scott case was that the court refused to make a distinction between property in general, and a wholly exceptional class of property."  Downes, at 274-75 (opinion of Brown, J.)

See Schwartz, History, p. 123.

Back to my voice.  Is my reading airtight.  No.  But I think a reasonable (I would argue best) interpretation is that Lincoln believed persons had a right to bring hogs into the territories.

Mark A. Graber