Prof. Nowlin writes:

>         Given the genesis of this discussion thread in Stephen
Henderson's Knight
> Ridder piece, part of the general thrust of which (as I read it) is that
> there are good reasons to prefer "living constitutionalism" to the kind of
> "cramped" originalism that purportedly underlays Dred Scott, and Matthew
> Franck's response to this piece, preferring originalism to "living
> constitutionalism" and placing Dred Scott in the latter, "living
> constitutionalist" camp as an example of what might be called faux or
phony
> originalism, I think one issue worth reflecting on is whether Dred Scott
> would have come out any differently in the end had the Court (depending on
> your viewpoint) embraced or openly embraced some form of living
> constitutionalism as its interpretive approach.
>
>         My own guess, which is only a guess, is that, given the strength
of the
> originalist legal arguments in the Curtis and McLean dissents, it is
> unlikely that any justice would have felt compelled by a commitment to
> originalism to adopt Taney's positions if his political leanings were in
> fact anti-slavery in nature. Nor, of course, is it likely that any
> pro-slavery justice would have felt compelled by a commitment to "living
> constitutionalism" to "update" the Constitution in an anti-slavery rather
> than pro-slavery direction. Very likely, then, the "living Constitution"
of
> the Taney Court would have been pro-slavery in nature and the outcome of
> the case, if not the opinion itself, very much the same, if the Court had
> adopted (or openly adopted) a "living constitionalist" approach. If this
> view is correct, then in no sense did deployment of a "cramped"
originalism
> produce a deplorable outcome in Dred Scott that could have been avoided by
> an embrace of living constitutionalism, even if one were to concede (what
> may or may not be the case) that Taney's opinion is a good faith and at
> least a minimally competent exercise in originalism. Even on this view,
> there were originalists on both sides of the debate in Dred Scott, and
> there would have been "living constitutionalists" on both sides as well.

Comment:  This bifurcation of originalism and the "living constitution"
idea is a false dichotomy when you recognize that the Founding Fathers
understood the Constitution as a treaty that must be construed in
conformity with customary international law that itself is evolving.

Francisco Forrest Martin