Just to be clear, nothing in my post was intended as a specific response to
Professor Graber, whose work I admire, or to suggest that he holds the
views I suggested were likely mistaken. Rather the post was intended simply
to emphasize-in the context of Dred Scott-a point on which I think we
clearly agree: that the interaction of interpretive methods, judicial
politics, and legal conclusions is often quite complex, making it difficult
to generalize about the effects of interpretive theories on individual
rights in particular cases without a host of case-specific qualifications.

Jack Wade Nowlin