From Scrappleface.com:

Ginsburg: Intergalactic Law Will Shape Court Rulings

(2003-08-06) -- Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg said today that the high court must become less provincial and take into account intergalactic law in future rulings.

The remark comes after Justice Ginsburg told the American Constitution Society, a liberal lawyers group, that she and her high court colleagues "are becoming more open to comparative and international law perspectives."

Such international perspectives heavily influenced the court in its recent decision to overturn a Texas law banning sodomy.

"Our island or lone ranger mentality is beginning to change," said Justice Ginsburg. "We are the losers if we do not both share our experiences with and learn from others."

While the Supreme Court does not yet have direct access to intergalactic court rulings, she said "much can be learned from archival episodes of Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, and of course, the Star Wars movies."

***************************
Matthew J. Franck
Professor and Chairman
Department of Political Science