I will need to read your article, but given that positive approaches to
International Law have prevailed over the past 150 years, with customary
international law only having force because the Executive has at least
implicitly consented to the application of a particular customary
international law rule to the United States, I just don4t see the
connection to federal common law, especially from a teaching standpoint.

Jonathan Miller

> Professor Martin may disagree on the merits, but what would be
misleading would be to
suggest that there is not a huge debate about the domestic status of
customary
international law and that much of this debate involves the Erie doctrine
and the
legitimate scope of federal common law.  Bradley & Goldsmith and other
critics of the
internationalist position were quite aware of the developments that
Professor Martin
cites.  The debate is complicated, and I won't repeat my own views here.
(Shameless plug:
 Sorting Out the Debate Over Customary International Law, 42 Va. J. Int'l.
L. 365 (2002).)
 My point, rather, is that the topic ought not be introduced at a point
where the students
don't have the tools to evaluate the arguments pro and con.

> Ernie Young

Affairs
> and the Constitution, and a little bit in Federal Courts.  But I don't
> teach it in Con Law I.  I think it would be very difficult to do so when
> the students don't know anything about federal common law, and even
harder
> in the many instances in which they won't have had Erie yet in Civil
> Procedure.  I would worry that without those subjects as background,
> students would have a hard time following the serious debate about
> customary law's domestic status."
>
> COMMENT:  I think that to associate customary international law with
> federal common law (and especially Erie) is very misleading.  Curtis
> Bradley and Jack Goldsmith did so without recognizing (as I recall) that
> contemporary customary international law is not so much common law
anymore
> because it has become codified in different multilateral treaties, and
such
> conventional customary international legal norms become binding on the
U.S.