Bryn Mawr College is soliciting brief "ballpark" estimates for consultants to
develop a plan for creating a cost-effective and energy-efficient storage area
for the College's Special Collections, one of the largest and richest
collections of art, cultural artifacts, rare books and manuscripts to be found
among liberal arts colleges in the country.  Most of our collections, including
the historical records of the College, are currently stored in the College's
main library, the Miriam Coffin Canaday Library, and in portions of M. Carey
Thomas Hall, built as a library in 1910 and now primarily an academic building.
 Bryn Mawr's small size and location, in combination with local building codes,
make the construction of new, dedicated storage spaces impractical, so we have
done our best over the years to maximize existing space in these buildings by
converting non-contiguous sections of open library stacks to storage and
exhibition areas.  These converted storage spaces, originally design
 ed for public access, do not have climate control systems appropriate for
storing vulnerable cultural collections.  As planning begins for renovating
these building, we have an opportunity to re-imagine our collection storage
options, and to create spaces with the kind of temperature and humidity
controls that are essential for the collections' long-term preservation.  To
advance this planning, we are requesting funds to engage consultants
experienced in retrofitting older buildings for the storage of cultural
collections, and asking them to determine what practical and environmentally
sustainable options are available for creating appropriate environments for the
collections.  The project committee, which consists of Special Collections
staff members as well as the College Architect, Energy Officer, and
Environmental Safety Officer, will use the information collected in the study
to develop a strategic plan for prioritizing and implementing recommended
measures, and will begin imme
 diate implementation of transitional steps to create improved storage areas
for the most vulnerable collections until the larger-scale renovations can take
place.

Marianne Weldon
Objects Conservator
Collections Manager for Special Collections
202 Canaday
Bryn Mawr College
101 North Merion Avenue
Bryn Mawr, PA 19010