At the Canadian Centre for Architecture we are considering putting RFID
self-adhesive book tags on the acid-free paper flags that we insert into CCA
library books in order to identity them. Ours is a non-circulating library and
we consider our books to be part of our collection to be preserved. We would
place the RFID tags on the top ends of the flags. That way the tags will sit
outside the books.  If, hpowever, flag is inadvertantly inserted upsided down
and left inside the page block of a book for an extended period of time, could
it cause damage ? According to the vendor (see link) the tag is « hermetically
sealed to prevent corrosion of the transponder coil'' and the adhesive is
''age-resistant, acid free''.  But could there be eventual creeping of the
adhesive?  The fact that the vendor advertises why the tag is hermetically
sealed confirms to me that the tags must remain outside of our book in case  we
ever get a defective tag or a  tag is damaged and the hermetic seal broken. I
haven't found any information about what these tags are made of.  Another
vendor simply says their tags are paper, with a synthetic option available.
I'd appreciate hearing from anyone with experience or opinions on the use of
RFID tags to identify books in a museum library collection.
inerthttp://www.brodart.ca/Library-School-Supplies/Security-Supplies/RFID-Tags/_/mk-Sorting-Systems-RFID-Book-Tags/

Karen Potje
Chef, Conservation/Restauration
Head, Conservation/Preservation