Regarding the query about the tools used by medieval scribes, I believe
that it is a knife. Christopher de Hamel in his *Scribes and
Illuminators* describes
the following:

"As he actually wrote, the scribe held a knife in his left hand. This is
important, and universal in the Middle Ages. Writing, like eating, was a
two-handed operation. It meant, among other things, that he had no spare
hand for following his place in the exemplar. The knife was for sharpening
the pen and for erasing mistakes (quickly, before the ink had really soaked
in) and, more practically, for holding down the always springy surface of
the vellum, moving along the line as the scribe wrote each word. To steady
the page with the finger is potentially greasy and clumsy, but a knife tip
gives precision and control."

Christopher de Hamel, . 1992. *Scribes and Illuminators (Medieval Craftsmen
Series)*. Toronto, (Canada) : University of Toronto Press. 37-39.

Katherine Kelly

Book Conservator

Conservation Division

Library of Congress